Are you a music group or band and seeking legal support within the scope of contract negotiations or specific legal disputes? As an artist or music group, do you need legal help with collecting societies (e.g. GEMA, [German Society for Musical Performance and Mechanical Reproduction], GVL [German Collecting Society for Performance Rights]) or the Artists Social Security Fund (KSK)? Are you having legal disputes within your own group and need legal help? Or do you need legal help as an artist in connection with creating radio or press reports?
What we offer
We can handle the legal advice in connection with founding a band and the legal support in the exploitation and marketing strategy of bands and solo artists, including the advice and representation for the purposes of managing your personality rights. We support artists in the financial structuring of their projects, in completing contracts, and in enforcing claims. We can provide assistance, among other things, within the scope of registering works and performances with collecting societies, particularly with respect to the registration strategy and the recall or reserving of individual usage rights, as well as reviewing the appropriateness of dividends from distribution plans. Furthermore, we can advise you within the scope of the Artists Social Security Fund (e.g. in so-called band leader cases).
Our activities also include the tracking of contract violations, copyright violations, or other rights to intellectual property by means of an official warning, in proceedings for a temporary injunction, or complaint proceedings, which are part of the special strength of our law practice due to the many years of practical experience and the technical expertise of the attorneys and specialized lawyers.
Scope of performance
Creating, reviewing, and negotiating contracts, such as
- Founding contracts for a band
- Sampling, remix, soundtrack, advertising, and film score contracts
- Concert or performance contracts, guest performance contracts
- Artist exclusivity contracts, producer, and master licensing agreements
- Management contracts and agent contracts
- Rights administration agreements (GEMA/GVL)
- Publishing and sub-publishing contracts
- Sponsorship agreements
- Contracts regarding right to your own name for artists, groups, albums, and/or musical pieces
- Merchandising contracts
- Event, concert, and artist support agreements, touring agreements, and contracts regarding venues
We can also handle the following:
- General consulting and representation in copyright, identifier, and competition law
- Consulting within the scope of founding a band regarding the legal form, the corporate contract, the registration, and the industrial law project
- Consulting in connection with acquiring and assigning rights and consulting and support in connection with digital rights management (DRM)
- Consulting regarding compensation and distribution of revenues
- Consulting and representation with respect to collecting societies
- Consulting and representation regarding the law on social insurance for artists
- Consulting and representation regarding the general personality law, the right to your own image, and the right to private speech
- Out-of-court representation in warning notice proceedings
- Representation before all district and regional courts in Germany by means of temporary injunction proceedings and in complaint proceedings
We normally offer these services to you calculated according to the time spent at a suitable hourly rate or in court proceedings according to the Attorneys Compensation Act (RVG). We believe that cost transparency and cost reliability obviously form the basis of successful cooperation. We will be happy to provide you with an estimate of the expected costs and the cost risk before taking the job.